Thursday, August 6, 2009

Planning a budget wedding

I started planning my wedding two weeks ago. It will take place in one month. No, it isn't a shot gun wedding, in the traditional sense, but more "a shotgun will be required if you don't soon marry me." Just kidding. We have been together for eight years, and we have lived together for seven.

Between us we have three children; they all need braces, and we haven't started saving for their education as yet, so planning a beautiful, fairytale wedding just isn't in the cards for us. My budget is very limited, and I am hoping to do it for under 3000. I am right on target, however, my original budget, was about 50o dollars, so I have had to readjust several times.

Of course, it is best to keep your budget ideas a secret from your family and friends, before they throw their 'two cents' worth in and rain on your parade. I am a strong believer of doing what you can afford. We have a big, beautiful house, but we are basically 'house poor'. Even if I did have a lot of money, however, I would still choose to do my wedding economically. Doing an economical wedding, however, could possibly offend some people, as they might consider it tacky or lacking in etiquette, but spending a very large downpayment on a house for a one day event just does not make sense in these poor economical times. You have to create a balance between the two. In this blog, I am going to attempt to share with you some of the cost-saving ideas that I have come up with for my wedding, in hopes that it might help someone, save a better downpayment for a real house. Most of my ideas, however, came from some very thrifty friends, and I thank them for helping me out with my wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment